Students on the Student Health Plan (aged 16 and older), are required to get referrals before seeing off-campus providers. To obtain a referral, make an appointment. Referrals are good for 12 months from the date they are issued.
If you are not sure you have a referral or if you need a new one, call UHS at 609-258-3141.
There are situations where referrals are not needed for treatment off-campus:
- If you have an emergency illness or need to go to the hospital or emergency room
- If your dependent is under the age of 16
- If you want to use your $125 annual dental visit benefit within the Princeton University SHP plan
- If you need medical care during a scheduled University break
- When you are getting a physical or a well-woman exam
- If you are seeing a mental health provider
- If your student status is In Absentia or if you (or your enrolled dependents) live out of state (or outside of Middlesex, Mercer or Monmouth County, NJ)
- If you have a medical disability and are on a 90 days’ extension of SHP coverage
Call UHS at 609-258-3141 before receiving any elective surgical procedure during recess periods so we can ensure your health records are updated.