On this page, we are defining cannabis use as consuming cannabis plant products containing Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). THC is the primary psychoactive chemical in cannabis. Cannabis plant products containing THC may be the leaf or flower of the plant, or extracts such as waxes or oils. These products may be consumed by smoking, vaping, eating or drinking. 

Some resources available to you:

Information about Cannabis 

How risky is my cannabis use?

If you are wondering how risky your current cannabis use might be, you can take this quick, anonymous online screening by ScreenU. Based on your responses, you may be asked some open-ended questions about your cannabis use to help you think about how you might lower your risk. At the end, you will receive a list of our campus and community resources where you can further explore your cannabis use. What you choose to do with the information you receive is up to you.

If you want to reduce your cannabis use

T-Break: a guide to help support a cannabis tolerance break is an online guide to assist with taking a break from cannabis use to reduce tolerance. People who use cannabis can build up a tolerance to it meaning that it takes more and more over time to get the same effects. Taking a break from cannabis can reduce tolerance. The guide is based on what college students say worked and did not work for them when they took a break. While the guide is located on the University of Vermont website, it is free and available to everyone.

This guide also has practical tips for cutting down cannabis use.

University Policy

While both recreational (for those 21 years of age and older) and medical use of cannabis is legal in the State of New Jersey, cannabis products with more than 0.3 percent THC1, including medical use, is illegal under federal law. The University is required to abide by federal law. Accordingly, University policy prohibits the possession, use, sale or manufacture of cannabis in any amount on or in the vicinity of University property or while in the conduct of University business or University-sponsored activities away from the campus. More information can be found on the Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) website.

You are obligated to seek help when someone needs medical attention due to drug use, according to University policy and in accordance with New Jersey’s Overdose Prevention Act (N.J.S.A. 24:6J-1 et seq.), also referred to as the Good Samaritan Law. These laws and policies offer some leniency with respect to violations which may come to light as a result of such calls, depending on the circumstances involved. 

On- and Off-Campus Resources



CPS' AOD Treatment Team 


Corner House  

Marijuana Anonymous (includes virtual options)


1Agriculture Improvement Act of 2018, Pub. L. 115-334 (the 2018 Farm Bill)