Varsity student-athletes may be eligible for partial reimbursement of out-of-pocket expenses (including medical and prescription co-pays and deductibles) for care for injuries that occurred while playing your sport, via the Athletic Activity Fund (AAF).
Learn more about:
- Submitting a request for reimbursement
- Reimbursable expenses
- Non-reimbursable expenses
- Contact for questions
Before you can request reimbursement, we require that you:
- be evaluated by your team physician;
- submit all claims to be processed by your insurance company (SHP or private insurance); and
- pay any remaining balance owed.
Submit the following forms to the Student Health Plan (SHP) office:
- completed AAF Reimbursement Request form (.docx);
- copies of “Explanation of Benefits (EOB)" statements from your insurance company;
- proof of payment of remaining balance; and
- completed Outside Referral form (.pdf) (if applicable).
UHS Physician approval is required to qualify for reimbursement through the AAF when you require off-campus services during scheduled school breaks and summer recess.
Allow 4-6 weeks for processing. Reimbursement will be sent to you, either by direct deposit or check. If by check, you will be contacted by the Office of Finance and Treasury when the check is ready to be picked up, as your signature is required for release of the check.
- Laboratory testing, diagnostic testing and/or consultations from outside physicians for athletic related injuries/illnesses
- EKGs and other heart-related testing for sports clearance
- Medication for sport-related illnesses/injuries (e.g., anti-inflammatory medications and antibiotics for wrestlers with mat-related skin conditions)
- Chiropractic, acupuncture, and massage therapy
Authorized services may be reimbursed up to:
- $200 medical insurance deductible and $100 prescription deductible; or
- what you would have paid for deductible and copayment if enrolled in SHP and using in-network providers.
- Medications for diabetes, asthma, or other chronic conditions affected by exercise
- Rehabilitation for injury not sport-related
- Athletic-related injury/illness expenses incurred after August 31 in the year you graduate or after your termination of enrollment at Princeton University. This exclusion applies even if the injury or illness on which it is based occurred or began prior to graduation or termination of enrollment (i.e., continued physical therapy, consultations/treatments, and/or follow-up surgeries)
- Requests for reimbursement made more than two years after date of incurred expenses
- Medical expenses incurred without prior approval from team physician/UHS physician
If you have additional questions, email the Student Health Plan (SHP) office (email@example.com).