At-home COVID-19 test kit coverage
The Omicron variant has created an overwhelming demand for over the counter (OTC) COVID-19 test kits, so supplies may be limited. There are multiple options for cost coverage of these test kits.
Every home in the U.S. is eligible to order four free at-home COVID-19 tests. The tests are completely free. Orders will usually ship in 7-12 days.
- Go to covidtests.gov to order.
- Fill in your contact information and shipping address.
Undergraduate students: use your campus mailbox address.
Graduate students who live in the Graduate College: you may experience difficulty completing the request form, since the Graduate College is classified as “non-residential” in the USPS system. See instructions on how to order tests while residing in the graduate college.
Mail Services has created a process to enable Graduate College students to receive this one-time-only COVID test shipment.
Follow the steps below to set up delivery of the test kits.
- Email Aaron Sked (firstname.lastname@example.org) at Print and Mail Services to request a Frist mailbox number.
- Use of the mailbox is specifically for receiving the one shipment of four COVID test kits from the government.
- Students will be provided with the complete Frist mailing address to use when placing an order on the government website.
- Mail Services will notify students when the package is received, and load it into the Frist package locker system for pick up at Frist.
- Students will not be able to use the mailbox number for any other future shipments.
OptumRx members have four options for coverage of over the counter (OTC) at-home COVID-19 test kits:
- Pay $0 at a preferred network pharmacy: Visit a Walmart, Sam’s Club or Rite Aid pharmacy and simply go to the pharmacy counter, present your member ID card, and ask to have your OTC at-home COVID-19 test kits submitted to your plan for coverage.
- Order COVID-19 test kits online at Optum Store with $0 member cost-share. Members will be required to sign in through OptumRx. Members pay for shipping, or it’s free when they spend $45 or more (equivalent to 2 kits).
- Purchase a kit and then submit an electronic form for reimbursement: You can also purchase an OTC at-home COVID-19 test kit at other stores or online retailers. Keep your purchase receipt(s) to submit for reimbursement. To receive the quickest possible reimbursement of up to $12 per test, submit an electronic claim form by visiting optumrx.com/testinfo.
- Purchase a kit and then print and mail in a paper reimbursement form: If you prefer to submit your claim by mail, you can print a form at optumrx.com/testinfo and then mail it in. Reimbursement applies up to $12 per test. Please note: you will receive reimbursement more quickly if you submit an electronic claim.
Coverage includes OTC at-home COVID-19 test kits authorized by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The most common tests are BinaxNOW™, Flowflex™, InteliSwab™, On/Go™ and QuickVue®.
Test Coverage Quantity Limits
Covered members can get up to 8 individual tests per month, (e.g., a covered family of 4 would be eligible for 32 tests a month).
For More Information
Visit optumrx.com/testinfo for the latest updates and information.