Work-Related Injury and Illness

Occupational Health Services clinicians evaluate, treat and refer, if necessary, faculty and staff who become injured or ill while working at Princeton University. We make a medical determination regarding medical care and time out of the workplace that may be required. The University’s independent workers’ compensation claims administrator concludes that the injury or illness arises out of and in the course of employment by the University. These processes are delineated in Princeton University's workers' compensation policy.

Care During Business Hours

If you experience a work-related injury or illness during business hours, make an appointment at Occupational Health Services. You are required to report the incident to a supervisor and to Occupational Health Services by completing an eHealth Workplace Injury Intake Form before the end of the workday.

For serious work-related injuries, call 911 immediately.

Care After Hours

If your injury or illness occurs after hours or on weekends and immediate treatment is necessary, seek care at an Urgent Care Center or Emergency Room. Complete an eHealth Workplace Injury Intake Form the next business day to report your injury to a healthcare provider at Occupational Health Services. 

Time Out of the Workplace

If an Occupational Health Services provider determines that your work-related injury or illness requires time away from work, they will notify Human Resources and your department manager. Find out more about this process

Contacts for Questions

University's Independent Workers' Compensation Claims Adjuster (PMA Companies) - 1-888-476-2669

For questions involving your claim status, approval/denials under the workers’ compensation program, payment for medical treatment prescribed and authorized by OHS.

Office of Risk Management - 609-258-8255

For questions involving out-of-pocket medical expenses, such as prescription drugs, and reimbursement requests. 

Human Resources - 609-258-9758

For questions about compensation benefits, holding an employee’s position who is absent from work because of a work-related injury or illness, or cannot return to their former position.