Student Health Plan

Princeton University provides health insurance coverage through the Student Health Plan (SHP) for enrolled undergraduate students, graduate students, and their eligible dependents.

Benefits, fees, and enrollment periods for individuals and dependents are outlined in the SHP Summary Guide (2023-24) (.docx).

Learn more about:

Undergraduate Student Enrollment

You are required to either:

  • enroll in the Princeton University Student Health Plan (SHP), or
  • opt-out of SHP by providing your private insurance information.

You must enroll in or opt-out of the SHP via MyUHS by June 30. 

If applicable, see information about enrolling in the SHP while maintaining a private/family plan.

Graduate Student Enrollment

You are automatically enrolled in the Princeton University Student Health Plan (SHP) when you pay your tuition.

If applicable, see information about enrolling in the SHP while maintaining a private/family plan.

Visiting Student Research Collaborators (VSRCs) are automatically enrolled in the SHP in accordance with the terms of their contract with Princeton University.

Graduate Exchange Scholars receive their degrees from their home institutions and are ineligible for enrollment in the SHP. You may use UHS services by filling out the Exchange Scholar UHS Enrollment form (.pdf).

Graduate students from other institutions participating in the Inter-University Doctoral Consortium (GIUDs) are not eligible for the SHP or for UHS services.

Family Member/Dependent Enrollment

If you have dependents1 (spouse, children <26 years old), you can enroll them in the SHP (as well as the optional dental and vision plans) through MyUHS. You will have to prove their status by uploading supporting documents:

  • Marriage certificate and most recently filed tax return with Social Security numbers and all financial information redacted, i.e., blacked out by student (for a spouse)
  • Birth certificate (for children up to age 26)

A separate fee is charged to enroll dependents in the SHP. Dependents aged 16 and over who are enrolled in the SHP have access to UHS services without additional charges.

For information regarding HIPAA privacy rights for enrolled dependents, see this notice.

SHP Enrollment After Open Enrollment Ends

After the open enrollment period has ended, you may enroll in the plan only if you have an eligible Qualifying Life Event.  The student must contact the Student Health Plan Office within 31 days of the Event at [email protected], and provide the appropriate documentation within 31 days to substantiate the Event.

Eligible Qualifying Life Events include:

  • Marriage or divorce
  • Birth or adoption of a child
  • Involuntary loss of benefits eligibility for a student, spouse, or child
  • New Undergraduate student status (you were not enrolled in the University for the Fall but will be an enrolled student for the Spring)

Aetna Navigator

The SHP is administered by Aetna Student Health. If you’re enrolled in the SHP, you can use Aetna Navigator for personalized benefits, health information, discounts, and other tools. For more information, call Aetna Student Health Member Services at 1-877-437-6511.

Aetna In-Network Provider Directory

If you wish to find an in-network provider, visit the Aetna Providers Directory, register or login using your MemberID, or continue as guest, and use "Open Choice PPO" plan for your search.

Filing Claims

If you wish to electronically file a claim with Aetna, please fill out the Aetna Student Health Claim form (.pdf), save and download to your computer and follow these instructions (.docx) for electronic submission. Alternately, you can download the form to your computer, fill it out and save prior to uploading to the Aetna member website.

If you do not wish to file your claim electronically, you can still fill out the claim form and mail it directly to the address in the right hand corner on your claim form or fax it to Aetna Student Health at the number on the claim form. Retain an electronic or physical copy of your completed claim form for your personal records.

1You are not eligible to enroll another active Princeton University student as a dependent in any of the University-offered plans.